INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE SURGERY
1) Nothing to eat or drink, including water after midnight prior to your scheduled surgery and anesthesia. Exception* If you take medications, including ASPIRIN please ask Dr. Vecchione. You will need a responsible person to take you home, remain in the office during surgery, and stay with you for the rest of the day.
2) You must be able to breathe through your nose clearly. If you have a cold or congestion, please CALL the office immediately.
3) Wear a loose fitting top with short sleeves. No body shirts, dresses, or one piece outfits. Do NOT wear flip flop shoes or slippers. Please wear sneakers or good support shoes.
4) Bring a sweater or sweatshirt for after the surgery, even if the weather is warm, you or the office may be cool.
5) Try to use the bathroom within one hour of your appointment.
6) If you wear contact lenses, please do not wear them during surgery. Bring the lens container or wear your eyeglasses. Remove dentures, tongue rings and any removable appliance you may have in your mouth.
7) Expect to spend the rest of the day at home relaxing. There will be instructions for home care reviewed with you and your escort before you are discharged from the office.
8) Make sure that you have a well stocked refrigerator full of ice cream, sherbet, Jell-O, (nothing RED) applesauce, pudding, cottage cheese, yogurt, bananas, mashed potatoes, pasta and/or any other soft mushy foods that can be mashed against the roof of your mouth without the need for chewing. Scrambled eggs, noodles, French toast, pancakes, waffles can be added to your diet depending upon the healing progress and the type of procedure performed.
9) Purchase soft ice packs (or frozen peas can also be used) enough for the first forty eight hours following surgery.
10) Appointments are made for an exact time, but in the practice of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, delays are some times unavoidable. We appreciate your time and patience and will do our BEST not to keep you waiting.
11) Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or a legal guardian NO EXCEPTIONS